1947 Mack C41 Roanoke Railway & Electric Company
This bus not available for trips.
Mack, best know for its excellent trucks, also built buses at its Allentown, PA plant. Coach no. 319 is an excellent example. The 319 was one of 20 Mack buses delivered to Roanoke Railway and Electric (RR&E) in August of 1947. This was part of RR&E's effort to replace their streetcars with the more flexible motorcoach. With WWII fresh on America's mind, many cities, including Roanoke, phased out trolleys in favor of buses. This way, in case evacuatuion ever came about, the public could be carried anywhere needed, and not be limited to to go only where the tracks were laid. Shortly after the transition to an all-motorcoach fleet, RR&E changed their name and became Safety Motor Transit.
Like many buses during this period, the 319 served double duty, serving as both a city transit bus, and a city school bus.
In the early 1960's the 319 was removed from regular service and donated to the Virginia Museum of Transportation (VMT). November of 1985 brought heavy rains to the Roanoke Valley and VMT's facilities along the Roanoke River were flooded, causing extensive damage. 319 floated downstream approximately 100 yards coming to rest in a ditch. It was cleaned up and moved to VMT's new facilities along Norfolk Avenue where is stayed until a refocusing of VMT's mission brought it to the CC&T collection in 1999.
The coach features a gasoline-powered Mack engine.